After feeling like it was starting to get a bit of an effort to eat well with restrictions, I was so excited to make this. It’s completely effortless, easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious! After eating this, I’m feeling very positive about a gluten-free and vegan diet (and positivity is definitely an essential when it comes to food intolerances/coeliac!).
For a list of nutritional facts, see below the recipe.
You will need:
- 1 avocado (ripe)
- 3 heaped table spoons of organic raw cacao powder
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- ¼ small cup of almond milk (can also use coconut or hemp milk)
- 2 tablespoons of date syrup (or other natural sweetener, such as agave syrup – these are just refined sugar free, use stevia if you want completely sugar free)
Whizz up the avocado so that it’s smooth, whizz the coconut oil in too. In a mug whisk the cacao powder and milk together with a fork, add to the avocado and mix up until it’s all smoothly mixed together. Add the date syrup and stir. Next, spoon the mixture into a couple of glasses and pop in the fridge for a couple of hours, or you can also eat it straight away if you can’t wait!
There’s plenty you can do to get creative with this recipe, adding raspberries, cacao nibs, flaked almonds etc. Just have a play around and see what you like best 🙂
Also instead of licking the bowl out like I used to do as a kid, I just added a fruit salad and enjoyed the taste of the leftover mixture on my bananas and apples which was nice!
- Avocado = Has nearly twice as much potassium as a banana (potassium is needed to ensure the heart, kidneys and other vital organs work properly). Very high in protein, contains important amino acids and is full of beneficial fats (HDL cholesterol). And if that wasn’t enough, it’s also anti-inflammatory and rich in omega 3.
- Coconut oil = Contains important fatty acids and breakdown products which can kill harmful pathogens. Communities whose staple diet consists of lots of coconut are said to be some of the healthiest people on earth. Research shows coconut oil can lower your risk of heart disease and has medicinal properties.
- Cacao = Contains essential vitamins and minerals. Lowers blood pressure and improves circulation. Anti-oxidant, supports healthy heart function. Can improve digestion and is said to improve mental well-being.
- Almond milk = Contains protein, omega 3 and unsaturated fats so it’s a good choice of milk for people with heart problems. Also has magnesium and vitamin E and activates enzymes to helps digestion.
Who’d have thought that a chocolatey dessert could have so many health benefits?!